Monday, October 12, 2009

I just realized today that it has been a while since my last post. Time is flying. I cant believe it's already October! That means it's time for the Yamboree in Gilmer, Texas. I am very excited about attending it this year. So here's a quick update: While life has been incredibly busy it has also been very good. Two of my cousins each welcomed a new edition to their families at the end of September/beginning of October, so it has been fun with babies around Ttown. My nephew Sterling is crawling and saying, "Mama" and "Dada." School has been crazy, I just had a major test week including midterms so it's been almost nonstop studying for a while. It has begun to get colder here as Fall comes. I love Fall and Winter so I am pretty pumped about the change in the weather even if that has meant a lot of rainy days.
Last night I was reading in Acts and I came across this:
"Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death. But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power." Acts 2:22-24

I was struck by the power of God displayed in the last part of verse 24. "Since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power." Wow. It's not that the fact that God has power over death is a new concept but this verse blew my mind. It was impossible for Christ to be held by the power of death! This verse not only shows God and His power, but also shows how small even death's hold is. Right now I am memorizing Psalm 27 and it is so cool to see the "cause-and-effect" in these two passages. Christ came and died on a cross as an atonement for our sins. God raised Him up again, conquering death and taking the 'sting' of death away. Because of this we can join in and say with confidence, "The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread? When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, my adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell. Though a host encamp against me, my heart will not fear. Though war arise against me,in spite of this I shall be confident." Who, or what, in the world do we have to fear when we serve a God who has conquered what men fear most? So Believer, praise the Lord that it was not possible for death to hold Him, and that He rose again, and rest in His power. We serve a mighty God indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, sweet Hillary, for encouraging my heart today with your post. Thank you for reminding me of the power of the Triune God that we serve. Keep writing! I love you! . . . and have fun in Texas! Greet the rest of the gals for me!

    ReplyDelete