Sunday, August 30, 2009

Major Update

Since a few people have asked why the change in major I thought I'd address it on here. Here's the story:

While I love filming, taking pictures and making videos I had to ask myself was what I was spending all of this money on worth it? After all, I don't want to be a director or anything. Plus this is something that is learned mostly by experience. Honestly I was only majoring in TCF because I didnt know what else to major in. So a couple of weeks before I had to sign up for classes I decided to change my major to Childcare Development. I hadn't considered this before because back in the day when I decided on TCF I didnt realize how much I loved kids. God has been so gracious to lead me to this decision.
So why Childcare Development? What am I planning on doing with it? Absolutely nothing. I dont want to work, though of course if it is absolutely necessary I would. I have always wanted to be a wife and mother, in fact I feel called to be that. They dont really offer a major in how to be a wife or how to be a mother. So what was something that would help one day in my life and not be a waste of time and money? Childcare development. This is the closest thing they've got. Pretty much anything I learn can be practical for the future. I dont want to work or teach in a daycare with it (at least that's not my goal), however I know that some ministries hire people in that line to work with missionary kids. If ever I was in a place where that was possible, that might be pretty cool.

Because of my change in major I'm taking totally different classes than I was before. My favorites so far are Psychology and Childcare Development Exercises. These classes are so fun! Anyways, there it is. Childcare Development is simply more practical and profitable, and praise the Lord, I am loving it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! My college major-changing story is very similar. I was majoring in pre-med and social work when I realized that I loved psychology and felt a call to ministry. And then Karl proposed. I said yeah (obviously). And so when we were discussing life and such, we agreed that spending the next ten years of my life in school and a bazillion dollars wasn't worth my ovaries and the best years of our lives, especially considering that I knew I was going to be a SAHM. I changed my major to Human Development & Family Studies, got a job as a nanny to a home schooling family, and never looked back. I use my degree every single day at home and in our church!

    You're going to love HES. The people working in that college are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete