Thursday, July 2, 2009

The last book I finished was Hunchback of Notre Dame. It took a while to get into but once I did I began to fall in love with the book. Notre Dame is now among my top 5 places to see one day....possibly my top 3.
This is the quote that got me hooked. I plan on doing that one day. Perhaps my "elevated point" will be Sacre Coeur.

And if you would receive from the ancient city an impression that the modern cannot provide, go up (on the morning of some high holiday, at sunrise on Easter or Pentecost) to some elevated point from which you may overlook the whole capital, and listen to the awakening of the bells. Behold at a sign from heaven, because it comes from the Sun itself, those thousand churches trembling all at once. At first a faint tinkling passes from church to church, as when musicians give notice that they are going to begin. Then see, for at certain times the ear too seems to be endowed with sight- see how, all of a sudden, at the same moment, there rises from each steeple as it were a column of sound, a cloud of harmony. At first the vibration of each bell rises straight, pure and in a manner separate from that of the others, into the splendid morning sky; then, swelling by degrees, they blend, melt, intermingle, and amalgamate into a magnificent concert.


I was actually pretty disappointed it was over. And for the record....there can not be a Hunchback of Notre Dame 2. Read the book...it's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment