Monday, May 3, 2010

Being Home...weird

We got to come home today. So many things feel weird and out of place since being back.

It's weird seeing life go on, and talking to people who know little or nothing about what happened the past two days in Nashville. I understand it; it's just weird. I cannot express how much I hate that I had to leave and that I can't be up there doing something. 

It's weird how connected you feel to people when you go through something like this. There's that feeling of "if you weren't there you have no idea." (which really you dont- cause you weren't there so that's kinda a 'duh' one ;) ) There's also the "I survived the flood of 2010" bond you have with anyone you meet up there. 

It's weird how people all of a sudden stop caring about stupid stuff and care about each other. The only thing you see and hear about are people risking their lives to help others, and people wanting to do more. I heard about a man who broke into his neighbor's house, while it was flooding, in order to store all his clothes, instruments, and anything that he could upstairs because his neighbor, a musician, was out of town. There was also a school that is taking a few days- at least- to volunteer because "why have school when our classmates' lives have just been ruined." Also you have the ones who made it out ok but just want to help. One of my friends who lives up there said he couldn't wait to leave work today and go volunteer.

It's weird that I suddenly feel bad for taking a long shower or not drinking my entire Mountain Dew or bottled water. 

Finally, it's weird how little coverage I've heard of down here. Most people know hardly anything, if anything at all, about how bad it is. So in order to give you a glimpse....
























http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwCGz1vSh_M

5 comments:

  1. You're right Hillary -- there's very little coverage of this flood on the news. I mentioned it to Karl last night, and he had no idea that Nashville flooded. I *almost* hate to say it, but wealthy white people losing their belongings and lives in a flood does not fit the media's agenda/template. So, thanks for going wall-to-wall for us. :) I wouldn't have known about what was happening without my facebook friends/twitterverse posting pictures and sharing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the devastation in Nashville. So happy all of my "baby chicks" got out and home okay. This really tugs at the heart. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, the sad thing is though there are a lot of lower class areas in the ville and they've lost everything too. but you're right i'm sure that's why it hasn't been covered as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if it had happened any other weekend it would have been the top story. But this, along with 200,000 to 500,000 gallons of oil being spilled into the gulf everyday, plus a bomb scare/threat in NYC of Bauer proportions, the media has been a bit distracted. Nonetheless, I agree that it should have gotten much more coverage.

    I posted a link to this post on my blog to day. Because you are such a great blogger!

    ReplyDelete